Established in 1918, the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) is a voluntary, non-profit organization comprised of approximately 440 accredited public and non-public high schools. A member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), the NJSIAA conducts tournaments and crowns champions in 33 sports.
Championship competition for girls is sponsored in basketball, bowling, cross country, fencing, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, outdoor track, winter track, volleyball, and wrestling.
Championship competition for boys is sponsored in baseball, basketball, bowling, cross country, fencing, football, golf, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, swimming, tennis, outdoor track, winter track, volleyball, and wrestling.
NJSIAA MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the NJSIAA is to assist member schools in providing equitable education-based interscholastic athletic opportunities that support academic achievement, good sportsmanship and fair play for student athletes.
Through collaboration with key stakeholders the NJSIAA will strive to achieve student athlete growth in an ever-changing environment for their future success.
NJSIAA VALUES (not in order of importance)
- A physically and emotionally safe and healthy playing environment
- Educational experiences of all student athletes through participation in interscholastic sports
- Excellence in academics and athletics
- Rules that support fair play
- Cooperation among member schools to advance individual and collective well-being
- Programs that through interscholastic participation develop good citizenship, promote healthy lifestyle, foster involvement from a diverse population and promotes school/community relations
- Properly trained officials who enhance interscholastic competition
- Student athlete engagement in programs that promote the understanding that interscholastic athletics is a privilege
- Insistence that good sportsmanship be exhibited at all times by student athletes, coaches, officials and spectators
- Effective communication to assist in understanding the function of the NJSIAA at all levels