A stellar group of 18 high school athletes, coaches, and contributors were inducted on March 27, 2022 into the NJSIAA Hall of Fame. All 2022 inductees recognized during a celebratory event at the Westin Princeton at Forrestal Village in Princeton were selected by a statewide committee of journalists and both active and retired school administrators.
“This 2022 class is yet another reminder that there never seems to be a shortage of remarkable individuals to honor,” says Colleen Maguire, NJSIAA executive director. “Scholastic athletics in New Jersey has a long, and tremendously proud history, and nothing testifies to that more than the exceptional groups of inductees we have year, after year, after year.”
The 2022 Hall of Fame class were initially announced during 2021, but restrictions related to the pandemic delayed the formal induction ceremony. Yesterday’s event also included a number of service awards, two Award of Honor presentations, and the NFCA Northeast Sectional Volleyball Coach of the Year.
A list of all those honored during the induction ceremony follows. Further details, including biographical information, are available at HOF Program 2022.indd (njsiaa.org)
Hall of Fame 2022 Inductees
- Robert Auriemma, Ice Hockey coach, Brick Township H.S.
- Joetta Clark Diggs, Track & Field, Columbia H.S., 1980
- William “Mickey” Corcoran, Basketball coach and athletic director, Horace Mann / River Dell / Northern Highlands high schools (posthumous)
- Virginia Duenkel Fuldner, Swimming, West Orange H.S., 1965
- Christopher Ford, Basketball, Holy Spirit H.S., 1968
- Tom Heath, Cross-Country coach, Christian Brothers Academy
- Kenny Jackson, Football, South River H.S., 1979
- Thomas Lopes, Basketball official
- Eulace Peacock, Track & Field, Union H.S., 1933 (posthumous)
- Harding William Peterson, Baseball, Woodbridge H.S., 1946 (posthumous)
- Tricia Popowski, Multiple sports, Hoffman H.S., 1987
- Anthony Siragusa, Football, David Brearley Regional H.S., 1985
- John Somogyi, Basketball, St. Peter’s New Brunswick H.S., 1968
- Steven J. Timko, NJSIAA executive director
- Andre Tippett, Football, Barringer H.S., 1978
- Dajuan Wagner, Basketball, Camden H.S., 2001
- Don Wieder, Boys Gymnastics coach, East Brunswick H.S. (posthumous)
- Nancy Welch Williams, coached multiple sports, Shore Regional H.S.
Service Award Winners
- Tom Fisher, Athletic Director, Phillipsburg HS
- Lydia Siipola, Golf Tournament Sectional Director
- John Siipola, Golf Tournament Sectional Director
NFCA Northeast Sectional Volleyball Coach of the Year
- Jeff Koehler, Coach, Tenafly HS
Award of Honor recipients
- Ed Colona, Cross Country/Track Meet Director
- Carl Rickershauser, Cross Country/Track Rules Interpreter