To obtain a credential, individuals must represent that he/she is acting on a specific assignment for a media agency and has a working function in conjunction with an NJSIAA events.
1. Press credentials are NOT required to cover NJSIAA events. Rather, press credentials provide members of the working press admission and access to pre-determined areas.
2. Applicants must be employed by news organizations that gather and disseminate news of general interest or about high school sports on a regular schedule, throughout the year. Outlets whose primary purpose is providing background and statistics on individual players and not news gathering reporting are not eligible for a media credential. All credential requests will be reviewed by the NJSIAA Media Credentials Committee comprised of professional journalists, NJSIAA staff and public relations counsel.
3. Applicants must be full-time news reporters or press photographers or freelance/independent contractors.
4. Applications for freelancers and independent contractors require:
a. Signature of the owner, publisher or senior news editor
b. Copies of three (3) stories/photos published by the sponsoring news organization on whose behalf the application is submitted
5. First-time organizations applying for credentials must provide:
a. If printed, three (3) consecutive issues of the publication
b. If non-print, a letter on company letterhead confirming the nature of the organization’s news coverage, date established, and other information to help verify the legitimacy of the organization
c. If an online media outlet, three months of Web traffic reports should be emailed to Liz Nodeland ([email protected])
d. The use of photographs taken by authority of this credential shall be strictly editorial and non-commercial in nature and shall be limited to news or sporting news periodicals or Web sites.
6. Bearers of credentials are prohibited from producing “real-time” or continuous live play-by-play or detailed accounts or continuous live statistics of the event without the express, written permission of the NJSIAA. Periodic updates of scores, statistics or other brief descriptions of the competition throughout an event is permitted. For permission to broadcast, please contact Mike Casey at 516-803-9334 or [email protected]